- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup (80g) caster sugar
- ¾ cup (115g) brown sugar, lightly packed
- ½ tsp cornflour
- ½ tsp white vinegar
- beans from 1 vanilla pod or 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g pistachio nuts, finely chopped
- double cream, for serving, optional
- fresh berries, for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 150C (130C fan forced). Line two baking trays with baking paper.
Attach the wire whisk and mixing bowl to the stand mixer. Add the egg whites to the bowl.
- Turn to speed 6 and mix for 30 seconds or until soft peaks form. Increase speed to 8 and gradually add in the caster sugar, about 2 tbs at a time. Continue mixing and adding the sugar until all the white and brown sugar are added and a thick and very smooth meringue results. During mixing, turn off the mixer and wipe down the side of the bowl with a spatula.
- Reduce to speed 1, add cornflour, vinegar and vanilla and mix until just combined. Dollop meringue onto the prepared trays. Sprinkle with nuts and bake on the centre shelf for 55 minutes or until crisp. Turn off the oven and allow to cool completely with the door ajar.
- If desired, meringues can be made in a smaller size and topped with cream and berries, to serve