- 3 medium carrots, peeled
- 100g dried dates, roughly chopped
- 50g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- ½ cup canned unsweetened, crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- ½ cup (80g) brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 250ml vegetable oil
- 2¼ cups (340g) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp each ground cinnamon, ginger & nutmeg
- Cream cheese frosting
- 250g cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 30g butter, softened at room temperature
- ½ cup (80g) pure icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- Decorate: with your choice of pistachio nuts, walnuts, pecans or roughly dried apricots. Strawberries or shredded coconut (optional).
- Preheat oven to 160C (140C fan forced). Grease and line the base of a 23cm springform pan.
- Fit the food processor with shredding disc.* Feed each carrot through the feed tube and shred. Remove bowl and set aside.
- Fit the work bowl with the multipurpose blade. Add the dates and nuts and pulse for 5 seconds or until roughly chopped.
- Add pineapple, sugars, vanilla, eggs, oil, flour and spices. Process on speed 1 for 10 seconds, or until lightly combined. Add carrot and process a further 5-7 seconds, or until well mixed.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake on centre shelf* of oven for 70 minutes. If the cake is not cooked in the centre, cover with a sheet of greased aluminium foil and cook for a further 5-10 minutes or until centre of cake is firm. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Cream cheese frosting:
Fit the food processor with the mini bowl and mini blade and place all frosting ingredients into bowl. Pulse for 6 seconds, or until thick and creamy.
- Allow cake to cool completely before decorating with cream cheese frosting and your choice of nuts, fruit, coconut or berries.
- Shredding discs vary model to model. If you have an ExactSlice™ model please use the reversible shredding disc, medium side up.
- For best results, place the cake in the very centre of the centre shelf of the oven.