- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- 2 tbs dark cocoa
- ½ cup (125g) caster sugar
- 125g butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml milk, warmed
- 2 tbs finely chopped glace ginger (optional)
- Chocolate Sauce
- ½ cup (125g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tbs dark cocoa powder
- 375ml (1 ½ cups) boiling water
- icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan forced). Lightly grease a 2L oven proof dish.
- Attach the flat beater and mixing bowl to the stand mixer. Place the flour, cocoa and sugar into the mixing bowl. Turn mixer to speed 2 and thoroughly combine.
- Add the butter, eggs, vanilla, milk and ginger to the flour mixture. Turn mixer to speed 2 and beat until combined. Increase to speed 4 and beat for 1 minute. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Mix the brown sugar and cocoa together in a small bowl until smooth. Sprinkle over the batter and carefully pour over the boiling water.
- Bake on the centre shelf of the oven for 40 minutes. Serve warm dusted with icing sugar.