- 2 large eggs at room temperature, separated
- ½ cup (125g) caster sugar
- 40g butter, at very soft room temp
- 125ml milk, at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup (175g) self-raising flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Cinnamon topping
- 30g (1 ½ tbs) butter, melted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan forced). Grease and line the base and sides of an 18cm round cake pan. Place the egg whites into a large clean mixing bowl. Attach the turbo beaters to the hand mixer. Beat the egg whites on speed 6 to soft peaks, then gradually add in the sugar, beating well.
- Turn off the beaters and add in the egg yolks, butter, milk, vanilla and flour. Mix on speed 2 until combined then increase to speed 7 and mix a further 1 minute.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake on the centre shelf of the oven for 20 minutes or until firm. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan onto a cake rack.
- Brush the top with the butter and sprinkle over the cinnamon and sugar.
Be sure to have the butter at room temperature so the butter will easily squish in between your finger and thumb. Cold butter will not beat into a batter.