- 4 eggs
- 1kg waxy potatoes (see note)
- ½ small red onion
- 3 large dill pickles or ½ cup small gherkins
- Freshly ground salt and black peppercorns, to taste
- ½ cup good quality mayonnaise
- ½ cup light sour cream
- ½ cup prepared corn relish or corn relish dip
- Place the eggs into a small saucepan of water and bring to the boil. Cook 8 minutes. Rinse under cold water to cool and peel.
- Attach the rotary shredding & slicing attachment to the stand mixer with the thick slicing drum. Place the mixing bowl under the attachment. Turn the mixer to speed 6 and add the potatoes to the hopper pushing down with the pusher. Set the potatoes aside.
- Reduce to speed 4. Add onions and then the gherkins to the hopper. Set aside. Finally add the eggs and gently push with the pusher.
- Place the potatoes into a large deep saucepan and cover with water. Season well with salt to taste. Bring to the boil and simmer uncovered 8 - 10 minutes or until just tender. Gently drain and rinse the potatoes under cold water.
- While the potatoes are cooking. Attach the flat beater to the mixer. Place the mayonnaise, sour cream and corn relish into the mixing bowl. Turn to speed 2 and mix until well combined.
- Gently combine the potatoes and dressing, onions and gherkins and toss. Add the sliced eggs (reserving a couple for the garnish). Season with salt and pepper and serve scattered with the extra sliced egg.
- Choose waxy style potatoes that have a firmer texture. They tend to remain firm and not fall apart. Some all purpose varieties such as Desiree are suitable for boiling, mashing, frying and baking.