- 400g tipo 00 flour, plus extra for dusting
- 4 large free range eggs
- 1-2 tbsp water (if required)
- 650g green prawns, shelled
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into ribbons
- 150g pistachio kernels
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil
- 1/4 bunch mint leaves
- 1/4 bunch parsley
- 75g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 120ml olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Extra olive oil for cooking
- Fresh basil leaves and pistachio nuts to serve
- KitchenAid stand mixer
- KitchenAid three piece pasta attachment
- To prepare the pasta dough, sift the flour into a KitchenAid stand mixer bowl, attach the dough hook.
- Add the flour to the bowl, break eggs in a cup and mix with a fork. Add the eggs to the flour and start mixing slowly on speed 1 and working your way up to speed 2-3. Depending on the egg size used, 1-2 tbsp of water can be added if the dough is too dry.
- When the dough starts to come together and the texture changes to a silky texture turn the machine off. Turn the dough out onto a clean bench, dusted with a little flour and knead for a further few minutes. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut dough into 4 pieces and flatten one piece slightly into a neat rectangle, wrapping the remaining pieces in plastic wrap to prevent them drying out.
- Attach the pasta roller attachment to your KitchenAid stand mixer, starting on the widest setting (1), pass the flattened piece of dough through the machine a few times, folding each time to start with. Increase the notch’s 1 at a time up until notched 5 or 6
- Dust lightly with flour if it starts to stick and if it becomes too long to handle, cut it in half and lay on a dusted tray flat while the remaining dough is rolled out.
- Attach the spaghetti cutter attachment to your KitchenAid stand mixer and pass each sheet of dough through, Hang the spaghetti on a rail to prevent it sticking.
- When you're ready to cook the pasta, bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook 4-5 minutes until al dente and drain, reserve the drained liquid for the sauce. Drizzle over the pasta a little olive oil to prevent it sticking.
- To prepare the pesto sauce, finely chop the herbs (basil, mint and parsley) and add to a small mixing bowl.
- Finely chop the pistachio nuts and add them to the bowl along with the Parmesan cheese, 2 garlic cloves crushed, olive oil, lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt. Stir well to combine and set aside.
- Heat up a large heavy base fry pan to medium / high heat, add a good drizzle of olive oil and 1 clove of garlic crushed. Sauté until fragrant then add in the prawns and stir. Once the prawns change to a peach colour add the pesto followed by a good spoonful of the reserved pasta water, allow it to come to a simmer. Follow by adding the zucchini ribbons then remove from the heat. Add the pasta, toss and serve.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves and a sprinkle of chopped pistachio nuts.