- 2 oranges
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1¼ cups (275g) caster sugar
- 250g ground almonds
- ½ cup (80g) icing sugar
- ¼ cup pistachios, roasted, roughly chopped Rose petals, to serve
- Spiced orange blossom syrup
- 1 orange, juiced
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 1 tablespoon (20ml) lemon juice
- Place the oranges in a medium saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours or until the oranges are very tender. Drain and set the oranges aside to cool.
- While the oranges are boiling, make the spiced orange blossom syrup by combining orange juice, spices and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove heat, allow to cool and add orange blossom water and lemon juice.
- Sift icing sugar into a small bowl, add 1 tablespoon of the spiced orange blossom syrup and 2 teaspoons of water and mix until smooth. Set aside until serving.
- When the oranges are cooked, pre-heat oven to 160⁰C. Grease a mini loaf tin with eight 2/3 cup (160ml) holes with butter.
- Cut the cooked oranges in half and remove any seeds. Fit the multipurpose blade to the work bowl on the food processor. Add the oranges, eggs, olive oil, vanilla and sugar and process on speed 2 until smooth. Add ground almonds and pulse until just combined. Spoon batter into prepared loaf tins, putting two 1/3 cup measures in each hole, and bake for 45 minutes or until firm. Remove from oven and sprinkle each mini loaf with 2 teaspoons of cooled spiced orange blossom syrup. Leave to cool before removing from tins.
- To serve, drizzle each mini loaf with icing and top with pistachios and rose petals.
- This recipe is from Lyndey Milan’s Baking Secrets – airing Mondays from July 14 on Foxtel’s LifeStyle FOOD channel at 8.30pm. Encore episodes on Tuesdays at 12.00pm and 5.00pm, Saturdays at 9.30am and 8.00pm and Sundays at 12.30pm and 6.30pm.
Lyndey’s note: orange blossom water is available from Middle Eastern food stores or gourmet delis. Ground almonds are also known as almond meal.