- 350g unsalted cultured butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 ¾ (375g) caster sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 6 large eggs
- 650g self-raising flour
- 350ml milk
- 50g sour cream
- White Chocolate frosting
- 250g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 6 ½ cups (750g) icing sugar mixture
- 100g white chocolate melted & cooled
- 40ml water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 punnet berries, hulled and chopped
- Lollies and candles of choice
- Line 2 x 22cm heavy based round cake pans with baking paper. Allowing the paper to come up over the top of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 160C (140C fan forced).
- Attach the flex edge beater to the stand mixer. Place the butter into the mixing bowl. Mix on speed 4 for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the sugar, vanilla and beat on speed 6 for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating between each addition. Add ⅓ flour and milk and mix on speed 1. Add the remaining flour and milk in two batches and the sour cream and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour into the prepared pans and bake on the centre shelf for 1 hour 20 minutes or until firm and golden. Cool in pan 5 minutes before turning out. Allow to cool completely.
For the frosting
- Attach the flex edge beater. Place the butter and vanilla into the mixing bowl. Beat on speed 4 for 2 minutes. Attach the pouring shield and add the icing sugar and beat 2 minutes. Add the melted chocolate, water and lemon juice beat on speed 6 until very light and creamy. Separate about one third of the mixture and lightly fold with the chopped berries.
- Sandwich the layers together with the berry frosting. Coat the sides and top with the remaining frosting.
- Cut a star template out using thick cardboard and press in the centre of the cake. Remove and discard. Decorate the 'star' with choice of lollies or sprinkles and place on candles. Decorate the sides as desired.
- Allow the strawberries to peek through the centre of the two layers.
- The flex edge beater attachment is fabulous for mixing and makes it even easier to mix a large smooth quantity of mixture with ease. Available from KitchenAid stockists.
- If desired the white chocolate can be omitted from the butter cream for a traditional butter cream frosting.