- 200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (80g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups (235g) plain flour
- pinch salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 ½ tbs cornflour
- 250mls full cream milk
- 50mls cream
- ½ firm banana, peeled
- 1 peach or nectarine, halved and stone discarded
- ½ firm mango, flesh discarded
- 100g fresh berries, such as raspberries and blueberries
- For best results use a KitchenAid® Stand Mixer and Food Processor Attachment.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan forced). Light grease the base and sides of a removable base 20cm flan tin.
- Fit the mixing bowl and flat beater to the stand mixer. Cream the butter with 1 tbs of the sugar, the lemon and 1 tsp of the vanilla on speed 4 until well combined. Turn off the mixer, scrap down the bowl with a spatula. Add the flour and salt. Turn to speed 2 and mix for 20 seconds or until the mixture looks like crumbly large breadcrumbs. Scrape the mixture into a ball, place in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Roll out the dough and line the flan tin. Trim away any excess pastry. Prick the base over lightly with a fork. Line the tin with large sheet of baking paper and fill with baking beans. Bake 15 minutes, remove paper and beans and bake another 10 minutes or until golden and firm. Place tin on a cooling rack to cool. Once completely cool remove the pastry shell from the tin.
- To make the filling: Fit the clean mixing bowl and flat beater to the stand mixer. Add the egg yolks, remaining sugar and cornflour. Turn to speed 6 and beat for 3 minutes or until thick and creamy. Meanwhile, bring the milk and cream to the boil. Reduce the speed on the mixer to speed 1 and pour the hot milk slowly into the egg mixture. Mix until smooth. Return mixture to the pan.
- Bring to the boil over a medium heat stirring constantly. Cook stirring until mixture boils and thickens. Cover custard directly on the surface with a piece of plastic wrap and set aside.
To prepare topping: Attach the food processor attachment with the slicing disc to the stand mixer. Turn mixer to speed 6, thinly slice the banana, peach and mango.
Spread the cooled pastry shell with the custard filling and top with the sliced fresh fruit and berries.
- If the custard is not silky smooth, pour into a fine sieve and press through.