- cornflour (for baking tray)
- 10 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 cups (400g) caster sugar
- 100ml hot water, just boiled
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp rose water (or to taste)
- several drops pink colouring
- 100g pistachios, very finely chopped
- pink rose petals (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan forced). Line 3 baking trays with baking paper and sprinkle with cornflour.
- Attach the mixing bowl and the wire whisk to the stand mixer. Beat the egg whites on speed 6 until soft peaks form. Increase to speed 10 then add the sugar, hot water, vinegar, vanilla extract and rose water to the egg whites. Beat for 8 minutes or until the meringue is very thick and glossy. Add the pink food colouring and mix on speed 1 until just combined.
- Spoon big pillows of meringue onto the prepared trays and scatter with the chopped pistachios.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 110C (100C fan forced) and bake for another 1½ hours or until crisp. Turn off the heat and leave in the oven, with the door ajar, until completely cooled.
- Scatter the meringues with the rose petals (if using) before serving.