- 250g unsalted butter, cubed and softened at room temperature
- 2 cups (250g) pure icing sugar
- rind of 1 lime, finely grated
- rind of 1 lemon, finely grated
- rind of 1 orange, finely grated
- 4 cups (500g plain flour), sifted
- 60ml water
- 1 cup (125g) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1½ tbs lemon juice
- 2-3 drops pink food colouring
- Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan forced). Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place butter and icing sugar into the mixing bowl of the stand mixer. Attach the flat beater and pouring shield (if available) and mix on speed 2 until incorporated. Increase to speed 6 and mix for 2-3 minutes or until very pale, light and fluffy. Scrape down sides of bowl regularly with a spatula.
- Add rinds and flour, a little at a time and mix on speed 1 until flour is combined into butter mixture. Do not over mix.
- Add water and mix on speed 1 until mixture just comes together. Remove dough and knead lightly. Cut dough in half.
- Roll out first half of dough between two sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Cut out dough using a heart cutter and place on prepared trays 2cm apart to allow for spreading. Bake for 10–12 minutes or until golden. Transfer biscuits to a cooling rack. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Add icing sugar, lemon juice and colouring to the mixing bowl. Attach the flat beater and mix on speed 1 until icing is smooth and mixture is well combined. Carefully dip each biscuit, top side down, lightly into the icing. Place right side up on cooling rack and allow to set.
- Allow icing to set in a cool place for 2 hours before serving.
- Biscuits will keep well in a sealed container for up to 4 days.