- 600ml thickened cream (35% milk fat)
- 200ml milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
- 80ml water
- 7 large egg yolks
- 250g mixed dried fruit
- 50ml orange juice or orange liqueur
- finely grated rind of 1 orange
- 100g roasted slithered almonds or chopped brazil nuts
- Heat half of the cream, with all of the milk and vanilla in a heavy based, nonstick saucepan, stirring often until very hot. Be careful not to boil or scorch the milk. Set aside.
- Place the sugar and water into a small saucepan and cook stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves. Stop stirring and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile place egg yolks into mixing bowl and attach wire whisk, whisk on speed 6 until thick and mixture has doubled in size.
- Reduce to speed 2. Add the syrup down the side of the bowl, followed by the warm milk mixture. Lastly, add the remaining cream. Mix until well combined. Remove to a large jug with a pouring lip and chill for 6 hours or overnight. The mixture will flatten and lightly separate into two layers on standing.
- Combine the dried fruit, orange juice or liqueur and grated rind. Stir well and cover. Set aside while chilling the custard mixture. Just before churning, return the custard mixture to the mixing bowl with the whisk and beat on speed 4 for 2 minutes.
- Attach the frozen ice cream bowl attachment and paddle to the stand mixer. Turn mixer to speed 1. With the machine churning, add the custard mixture and churn for 20 minutes or until soft serve results. Add the dried fruits and nuts churn a further 5 minutes or until the mixture is very thick.
- Remove the mixture to a container, cover and freeze 4 hours or until firm. Allow to soften 5 minutes before scooping. Serve with fresh raspberries, if desired.
- As only 1.2L of ice cream can be made at once the recipe can be doubled and churned separately for a larger quantity.
- Home made ice cream should be eaten within 5 days of making.
Looking for More Ice Cream Recipes?
Try these other gorgeous ice cream recipe options: