PREP TIME: 10 minutes
BLEND TIME: 5 minutes
BAKE TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes (plus 10 hours chill time
- 2 ½ cups (165 g) coconut galletas (or similar cookie)
- 5 tablespoons (66 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon (0.6 g) fine sea salt
- 5 sheets (12 g) silver strength/160 bloom gelatin, unflavored
- ⅓ cup (79 ml) warm water
- 1 ¾ cups (540 g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) passion fruit juice concentrate, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups (324 ml) heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- ½ bean (3 g) vanilla bean seeds
- 1 whole (45 g) fresh Passion fruit, pulp and seeds removed
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC/gas 4. Spray a springform pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Make the crust. Place galletas in your KitchenAid® 400 Blender. Place lid on blender and pulse two times to break up cookies. Turn to speed 5 and blend for 10-15 seconds, or until cookies are finely ground. Clean and dry lid and blender.
- Pour cookie crumbs into a small mixing bowl. Add melted butter, granulated sugar, and salt. Use 9 speed hand mixer to mix ingredients together until crumbs are evenly moist. Pour buttered crumbs into prepared springform pan and use your fingers to press mixture evenly and firmly into the bottom of the pan. Bake crust for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the passion fruit mousse. Submerge gelatin sheets one at a time into a shallow dish filled with cold water and allow them to soften for 5 minutes. Once sheets are soft, drain out the excess water and pour the warm water over the sheets to fully dissolve them. Set aside.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk, passion fruit concentrate, heavy whipping cream and vanilla bean seeds into the clean blender. Cover blender and pulse three times, then scrape down the side of the blender. Remove the lid cap, add in the gelatin liquid, replace cap, and blend on speed 4 for 10 seconds.
- Pour the passion fruit mousse into the fully cooled crust and use a pastry spatula to smooth the top. Cover pan with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to chill for at least 10 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to serve, and before releasing the springform pan, run a sharp knife along the edge of the pan to release the mousse from the sides of pan. Slowly release the spring and remove the form.
- Spoon fresh passion fruit seeds and juice evenly over the top of the mousse. Slice pie into wedges and plate. Serve cold.
- Look for passion fruit concentrate with no other added juices or ingredients
- As an alternative to coconut cookies, any store-bought butter or sugar cookie will also work. Look for a cookie with a lower butter and oil content to achieve the right crust consistency.
- Powdered gelatin can be used instead of gelatin sheets. 1 (0.25 oz/7.08g.) envelope granulated gelatin = 1 tablespoon powdered gelatin = 3 sheets leaf gelatin. Follow instructions on gelatin package for preparation.
- Finished pie can be wrapped in plastic wrap and kept in refrigerator for up to 5 days.