- 2kg ripe fresh tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 head garlic, separated
- 100ml olive oil
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 2 anchovies
- 125ml white wine
- 3 sprigs thyme
- salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 tbs brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan forced). Place the tomatoes into large baking dishes and scatter over the garlic. Drizzle with a little of the olive oil. Roast 30 minutes or until the tomatoes are plump and well roasted and have slightly browned edges. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan with about 2 tbs of the oil. Add the onion, anchovies and wine and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally and partially covered for 30 minutes or until golden and very soft. Do not let the onion burn or the sauce will be bitter. Allow to cool.
- Attach fruit and vegetable strainer to stand mixer and turn to speed 4. Add roasted tomatoes, garlic and thyme into hopper, pushing down with wooden stomper. Then add the onion mixture. Reserve fresh tomato sauce and discard dry skin mixture. Season the sauce well with salt and pepper and sugar.
- Use within 3 days or pour into warm sterilised jars and seal. Store in a cool dark place.
- To prepare jars: Wash jars with hot soapy water and rinse well. Place jars carefully into the oven and heat 20 minutes. Remove and fill with sauce while still warm. Seal and store.