- 1.4kg floury potatoes, such as Sebago
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 250g cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 200ml thickened cream
- freshly ground salt and black peppercorns
- 3 rashers bacon, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan forced).
- Peel potatoes and onion and if large in size, cut in half. Attach the slicer shredder with the slicing drum attachment to the stand mixer.
- Turn to speed 6 and feed potatoes using the pusher to press food through. Repeat process with the onion and garlic.
- Attach the medium shredding drum and shred cheese into a separate bowl.
- Place a layer of half the potatoes and onion mixture into a deep 2L capacity ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with some cheese and repeat with remaining potato and onion, finishing with cheese.
- Attach the mixing bowl and flat beater to the stand mixer. Add eggs and cream and season well with salt and pepper. Turn to speed 4 and mix for 20 seconds or until well combined.
- Drizzle egg mixture over potato, onion and cheese layers and bake covered with a sheet of greased foil for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle bacon over potato mixture and bake for a further 40 minutes, uncovered or until golden brown and potato is tender.
- Serve immediately.
- Floury potatoes are the best choice for an au gratin. They fall apart during cooking, producing a soft texture.