Yield: 5 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Special Equipment: KitchenAid Light & Shadow stand mixer with paddle attachment; large fry pan; 2-3L pot
Rice noodles of choice
8 cups chicken broth
3 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
5 whole allspice
2 cardamom pods
700g ground pork
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
3 spring onions, end trimmed and finely diced
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp granulated garlic
1 tsp cinnamon
½ cup panko bread crumbs
Zest of a lime
Fresh coriander, basil leaves, mint leaves, sliced jalapenos, bean sprouts, lime wedges and radishes
Prepare the broth:
- Pour the broth into a soup pot and add in the dry spices: star anise, cinnamon sticks, whole allspice, and cardamom pods.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, cover, and allow to simmer while you make the meatballs.
Make the meatballs:
- Fit your stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Add all the meatball ingredients into the stand mixer bowl (ground pork, ginger, diced spring onions, sea salt, garlic, cinnamon, panko, lime zest and egg) and turn mixer to speed 4.
- Mix the ingredients until fully incorporated, or about 30-45 seconds.
- Use your hands to form the meatballs into golf ball sized balls and set on a sheet pan.
- Heat a fry pan on medium high heat and add a bit of olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When the pan is hot, place meatballs into the pan, being sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Cover the pan and allow to fry for 4 minutes, then uncover, turn the meatballs, recover and continue to cook for another 4 minutes. Repeat one more time, for a total cooking time of about 12 minutes per batch.
- Remove cooked meatballs into a large bowl or baking dish and cover the bowl with tin foil while you cook any remaining meatballs.
- While meatballs are cooking, prepare the rice noodles per cooking instructions. Drain and set aside.
Assemble the bowls:
- Place rice noodles into a bowl and ladle enough broth into the bowl to cover the noodles.
- Add meatballs, fresh herbs, and any garnishes. Serve hot.