- 1 cup (120g) pearl barley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 sticks celery, cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled, cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 parsnips, peeled, cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 medium Desiree potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 small head broccoli, cut onto large florets
- 1.25L vegetable stock
- 5 medium ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 cup basil and parsley leaves
- Place the barley into a microwave safe bowl, cover with boiling water. Cover with plastic wrap and cook 10 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the barley is par cooked.
- Meanwhile, fit the food processor with the work bowl and adjustable slicing disc*. Slice garlic, onion, celery and carrots on the thickest setting on speed 2. Remove from the bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the sliced vegetables and sauté 8 minutes.
Fit the work bowl with the adjustable slicing disc*, slice the parsnips, potatoes and broccoli on the thickest setting on speed 2. Remove and set aside.
- Add the stock, par cooked barley, parsnips and potatoes to the sautéed softened onion mixture. Bring to the boil and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until all vegetables are just tender.
- Add the tomatoes, broccoli and season well with salt and pepper. Cover and cook about 7 minutes or until broccoli is just tender. Stir in fresh herbs just before serving.
* Slicing discs vary model to model, please use the medium-thick slicing disc.