- 2 whole large eggs, at room temperature
- 200ml olive oil*
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- pinch sugar
- Crack the eggs into the hand blender beaker. Turn the hand blender to the highest speed and pulse for 5 seconds until the eggs are broken up.
- Continue pulsing for 2 to 3 minutes adding the oil in a very slow, steady stream initially.
- Once the mayonnaise begins to thicken, add the remaining oil and continue blending.
- Season with the lemon rind, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Cover beaker with the seal and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Keep the hand blender underneath the surface of the eggs to prevent splashing.
- Use a combination of oils: half extra light and half extra virgin olive oil is a delicious combination.
- A touch of lemon juice will thin the mayonnaise to a lighter dressing consistency, if desired.