- 2 tbs (25g) potato flour
- 1 tbs (10g) cornflour
- 50g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (80g) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 250ml milk
- 1 tbs caster sugar, extra
- icing sugar, for serving
- Preheat oven to 150C (130C fan forced). Lightly grease a 1.2L capacity oven proof dish.
- Attach the mixing bowl to the stand mixer with either the flex edge or flat beater and the pouring shield. Place the flours into the bowl and turn to speed 1, mix until combined. Remove flour from the bowl and set aside.
- Add the butter to the mixing bowl and beat on speed 6 until creamy. Add the sugar and beat for 5 minutes or until very light and fluffy. Finally, add the yolks one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Reduce to speed 1 and add the lemon rind and juice, milk and flour. Mix until just combined (the mixture may curdle, do not be concerned), then remove the mixture from the bowl.
- In a clean mixing bowl, using the wire whisk, beat the eggs whites on speed 8 until frothy, add the extra caster sugar and continuing whisking until soft peaks are formed. Add the lemon mixture to the whites and lightly whisk on speed 1 until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and bake on the centre shelf for 18 to 20 minutes or until top is just firm. Dust heavily with icing sugar and serve immediately with cream.
- For a non-gluten free recipe, plain flour can be used instead of potato flour and cornflour.