- 600g diced lean lamb, cut into long strips, well chilled
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- 1 wedge preserved lemon, washed and pith removed
- 1 tsp ras el-hanout*
- freshly ground salt and black peppercorns, to taste
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- pinch ground ginger
- 4 large eggs
- fresh coriander leaves, for serving
- Attach the fine grinding plate to the food grinder and attach to the stand mixer. Position mixing bowl under grinder. Turn the mixer to speed 6 and add ¾ of the lamb into the hopper, pushing down with the stomper. Add the onion, garlic, parsley, coriander and preserved lemon, followed by the remaining meat (adding a little of the meat last, ensures all the herbs and lemon have been pushed through the grinder).
- Attach the flat beater and mixing bowl to stand mixer. Add the ras el-hanout to the mixture and season with salt and pepper. Turn to speed 4 and mix for 2-3 minutes or until mixture is well combined and sticky. Roll mixture into small kofta’s with wet hands.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based non-stick frying pan. Brown kofta's well, shaking the pan often. Add the tomatoes and spices, stir lightly and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until cooked, partially covered with a lid. Carefully break in the eggs amongst the kofta’s. Simmer partially covered until the eggs are just firm. Sprinkle with coriander.
- For best results with the food grinder, chill the lamb very well or semi freeze for 30 minutes.
- Ras el-hanout is a Moroccan spice mixture containing many spices, often up to 20 individual spices. Easily made using the spice and coffee grinder to create your own personal mix. The most common mixtures are a base of nutmeg, black pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, sea salt, cardamom, mace, all spice, aniseed, cayenne, caraway and saffron. Use sparingly and store in a sealed container in a dark place for up to 1 month.
- Ras el-hanout is also available from pre-made from specialty stores.