- 1 cup dried chick peas
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbs tahini
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive
- finely grate rind 1 lemon
- 2-3 tsp lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- good pinch paprika
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Soak chick peas in plenty of water overnight. Drain well and discard liquid.
Place soaked chickpeas into a large heavy based saucepan and cover with fresh water.
- Partially cover and bring to the boil; reduce heat and cook for 40 minutes or until tender.
Drain well and cool.
- Place about half of the chick peas into the beaker jug. Place the hand blender in to the jug and turn to speed 9. Move the hand blended up and down in the jug to smash and roughly chop the chick peas. Add the garlic, tahini, yoghurt, oil, lemon rind & juice, salt and pepper and remaining chick peas.
- Continue blending to the desired consistency.
- Place into a wide serving bowl, sprinkle with paprika and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with crackers and vegetable pieces.
- Don’t salt the water when cooking chick peas, the salt will cause them to toughen and the skins to fall off.
- Tahini is sesame seed paste; available in unhulled and hulled varieties from good supermarkets and health food stores.
- Make sure the blender stays within the hummus to prevent ‘splashing’.