- 2 ¼ cups (340g) plain flour
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 4 eggs
- 100ml milk mixed with 3 tbs lemon juice
- 3 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 3 litres vegetable oil for frying
- 200ml honey, lightly warmed (optional)
- Spice coating
- ¾ cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into the blender jug. Cover and select speed 3 (mix). Process 5 seconds or until well mixed. Remove from the jug.
- Add the eggs, milk and vanilla to the jug, cover and pulse on shaking. Return the flour mixture, cover and process until thoroughly mixed.
- Transfer the mixture to a firm freezer bag/large sandwich storage bag or cake decorating piping bag - pushing it into one corner.
- Heat the oil in a large pot to 180C. Trim one corner of the bag and push smallish (1 tbs amounts) of the mixture into the oil, snipping off the mixture using scissors.
- Cook about 5 at a time for around 2-3 minutes, gently tossing the donuts in the hot oil until a deep golden colour and cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and lightly drain before tossing in the spice mixture. Serve drizzled with the honey, if desired.
- For the spice mixture, combine and place on a flat plate.
- If the oil is too hot the donuts will not cook through to the centre.
- Donuts are best eaten soon after cooking.
- Gluten free option: replace plain flour with gluten free plain flour, adding 2 tsp gluten free gluten (GFG). Available from health food stores.