- 160g blanched almonds
- 5 large egg whites
- ⅓ cup (40g) gluten free cornflour
- ¼ cup (35g) rice flour
- ¾ cup (90g) pure icing sugar
- ¼ tsp gluten free baking powder
- 150g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- rind of 1 lemon, finely grated
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 190C (170C fan forced). Lightly grease a 9 hole friand pan.
- Attach slicer shredder with fine shredding drum to the stand mixer and place mixing bowl under the chute. Turn mixer to speed 8. Add almonds to chute and gently push down with the pusher until finely grated.
- Attach the flat beater to the stand mixer and the pouring shield to the mixing bowl. Add egg whites and mix on speed 2 for 10 seconds, or until just foamy. Do not over mix.
- Sift flours, icing sugar and baking powder together. Add butter, flour mixture, nuts, lemon rind and vanilla to mixing bowl and mix on speed 2 for 10 seconds, or until just combined.
- Divide mixture evenly into the prepared pan and bake on centre shelf for 20 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a cooling rack.
- Do not over mix egg whites. Friands can 'pop' during cooking, over mixing attributes to this.