- 180g unsalted butter, softened*
- ½ cup (125g) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 3 tbs milk & 1 tsp lemon juice
- To serve
- 200ml cream
- ½ cup good quality berry jam
- 2 tbs icing sugar
- icing sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 180C (165C fan forced). Place patty cases into 12 muffin holes.
- Attach the mixing bowl, flat beater and pouring shield to the stand mixer. Place the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, milk and lemon juice into the bowl. Turn to speed 1 and mix until combined. Increase to speed 6 and mix for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until the mixture is well combined, light and creamy.
- Fill each patty case to no more than ⅔ full using a large old fashioned ice cream scoop or two spoons.
- Bake on the centre shelf of the oven for about 20 minutes or until just firm and golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Carefully take cakes out of the tin and place on a cake rack to cool completely.
- Cut a small circular piece from the centre of each cake. Cut each piece in half (to make the wings). Fill the centres with jam and a dollop of cream. Place wings on the top of the filling. Dust heavily with icing sugar to serve.
- Make sure butter is very soft so it easily creams through the flour.
- Using an ice cream scoop helps to achieve a nice rounded top on the cakes.