- 1.3kg large red skinned (waxy) potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 medium green apple, unpeeled and quartered
- 150g well chilled cheddar cheese, cut into thick batons (approx. 2.5cm x 8cm)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 100g (¾ cup) cornflour
- 125ml olive oil for shallow frying
- freshly ground black pepper
- Fit the food processor with the medium shredding disc.* Shred the potatoes, onions and apples on speed 1. Set aside.
- Remove the narrow pusher. Shred the cheese on speed 1, adding the cheese piece by piece.
- Place the grated potato mixture into clean a dry tea towel, twist firmly to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Place potato mixture into a mixing bowl with the cheese. Add the salt, eggs and cornflour and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based frying pan, form the potatoes into 4cm flat discs smoothing the top down a little.
- Cook in batches for 4 minutes or until golden brown, crispy and cooked through. Drain on paper towel. Season with pepper and salt to taste. Serve immediately.
- For a very crispy and stringy hairy look to the hash browns after combining with the egg and cornflour, form enough mixture for each cake and squeeze the liquid out with your fingertips.
- Shredding discs vary model to model. If you have an ExactSlice™ model please use the reversible shredding disc, medium side up.
- Please ensure the cheese is well chilled.