- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or extra-virgin olive oil)
- 2 cups (300g) diced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 6 cups (840g) peeled and cubed carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 5 cups (1.2L) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (120ml) full-fat canned coconut milk, plus more to serve
- The first thing you have to do to prepare this carrot and ginger soup is in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the oil and sauté the onions, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the carrot and ginger, and sauté for about 1 minute until evenly coated and Aromatic.
- Add the vegetable broth and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, and simmer, mostly covered, for about 20 minutes, until the carrots are just tender.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, stir in the coconut milk, and allow to cool slightly. Pour the soup into your KitchenAid® blender in batches and puree on high for 30 to 60 seconds, until smooth and creamy.
- Return the soup to the saucepan, season to taste, and warm it over medium-low heat.
- To serve, ladle the carrot and ginger soup into soup into bowls, add a teaspoon of coconut milk and swirl it with a butter knife.