- 2 large eggs at room temperate, separated
- 250ml icy cold water
- ¾ cup (100g) plain flour
- oil, for deep frying
- selection of thinly sliced sweet potato and eggplant, mushroom caps, asparagus spears
- sea salt flakes
- Attach the flat beater to the stand mixer. Place the egg yolks and water into the mixing bowl. Mix on speed 2 until well combined. Add the flour and mix on speed 1 then increase to speed 4 and mix for 1 minute. Remove the batter from the bowl and set aside. Wash and dry the mixing bowl.
- Attach the whisk to the mixer and add the egg whites to the mixing bowl. Whisk on speed 4 until whites form soft peaks. Add the batter and whisk on speed 6 until batter is combined and smooth.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Coat the vegetable pieces lightly in the batter – draining off excess mixture. Place batches of vegetables in the oil and cook about 2 minutes, lightly tossing the vegetables in the hot oil until dark golden brown. Drain with slotted spoon and place on paper towel. Repeat with the remaining vegetable and batter. Season with salt.