- 6 large egg whites, at room temperature
- pinch salt
- 300g caster sugar
- ½ cup (60g) dark cocoa, sifted
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 120g quality dark chocolate, roughly chopped into small pieces
- 100g hazelnuts, toasted, roughly chopped
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black peppercorns
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 2 tbs (30g) dark cocoa, extra
- Preheat the oven to 150C (130C fan forced). Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Attach the wire whisk and mixing bowl to the stand mixer. Place the egg whites and salt into the mixing bowl. Turn mixer to speed 6 and beat to soft peaks. Increase to speed 8 and continue beating adding the sugar in 3 batches, beating well in between each addition. The meringue will be very thick and glossy white.
- Add the cocoa and half the chilli. Beat on speed 1 until combined.
- Dollop small amounts of the mixture onto the prepared trays. Gently poke in the chocolate chunks and hazelnuts. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until very firm. Allow to cool completely in the oven with the door ajar.
- Sprinkle with a little pepper, salt and remaining chilli. Dust with cocoa and serve immediately.
- Meringues can be made the day before serving and stored in an air tight container.