- 1 large knob garlic
- 3 egg yolks
- freshly ground salt
- 125ml (1/2 cup) pure olive oil
- 125ml (1/2 cup) extra light olive oil
- 3 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbs cold water (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C for fan forced oven).
- Break open the garlic knob and place on a small baking tray. Roast for 18 - 20 minutes or until the garlic is tender.
- Fit the food processor with the mini bowl and mini blade. Add egg yolks and season with salt. Process, adding the oil in a very slow stream. Continue adding the oils in a slow stream until the mayonnaise thickens, once thick the oil can be added a little faster.
- Squeeze the soft garlic flesh from the skin and add the flesh to the mayonnaise with the vinegar, oregano and black pepper. Process on speed 1 until desired consistency. For a thinner consistency add water.
- If preferred the roasted garlic may be omitted and replaced with 2 tbs of extra chopped fresh herbs or 1 tbs finely grated lemon zest.
- ½ and ½ pure and extra light olive oil produces a thick, full flavoured mayonnaise.
- Oil must be added in a very slow stream if added quickly the mayonnaise will not thicken. Patience is needed!
- Mayonnaise can be kept refrigerated for up to 1 week.