- 3 large ripe red capsicums
- 50g almonds
- 3 spring onions or ½ red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, roughly chopped
- Strips of lemon rind, from 1 lemon (use a vegetable peeler to do this)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper. Place capsicums over medium gas flame.*
- Cook turning regularly with tongs until the skin is blistered and charred. Place charred capsicum onto tray and roast 30 minutes. While capsicums are still hot place into a small plastic bag, seal and set aside for 10 minutes. Drain off and keep any juices.
- Meanwhile, place the almonds into the baking tray and roast for 7 minutes. Remove charred skin from the capsicum, using gloves if still too warm, and discard. Tear flesh into large strips discarding all the seeds and membrane.
- Place capsicum, reserved juice, almonds, spring onions, chilli, lemon rind, spices, olive oil and salt and pepper into the blender jug. Secure lid and blend on speed 4 (Puree) for 5-10 seconds or to desired consistency.* Chill until serving.
- If you don't have a gas flame you can place capsicum under a hot grill
- For a thicker consistency blend in some chunks of bread (crusts removed)