- 900g pork neck, cut into 4cm pieces
- 100g pancetta, cut into cubes (or rindless bacon)
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup (140g) tomato paste
- 400g can peeled and diced tomato
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken stock (or water)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Freshly grated parmesan to serve
- Serve with fresh homemade pasta
- Attach the Food Grinder to the KitchenAid Stand Mixer with the coarse grinding plate and turn to speed 6. Place mixing bowl underneath grinder to collect the minced meat.
- Feed pork, pancetta and carrots in small batches into the hopper and gently push through with food pusher to collect into bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent. Add mince mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat has browned.
- Add paste, tomatoes, sage and stock and simmer, stirring occasionally for 35-40 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir through basil.
- Serve with your favourite fresh pasta and freshly grated parmesan.
Substitute pancetta with bacon or omit altogether.
Beef can be used instead of pork.
Substitute fresh sage with 1 teaspoon dried sage or oregano.