- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 1/2 tablespoon grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 red chili pepper, minced with seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime zest
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- Pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- Attach KitchenAid Juice and Sauce attachment with high pulp screen to KichenAid Stand Mixer. Position containers under attachment to catch juice and pulp. Turn mixer to speed 10 and process pineapple chunks. Discard pulp from pulp chute, but open attachment and add processed pineapple from strainer basket to pineapple juice.
- Heat grapeseed oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add chili pepper and garlic and cook until beginning to brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add pineapple juice and flesh, lime juice, lime zest, vinegar, sugar, 1/4 cup water and salt, stir well to combine. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Blend cornstarch in remaining water and add to pineapple mixture. Stir well, lower heat and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool completely and store in refrigerator. Can be used as a dipping sauce for springrolls or cooked fish or shrimp.
makes about 2 cups