- 400ml water
- ½ cup (125g) caster sugar
- 2 thick strips lemon rind
- 1 large ripe pineapple, well chilled
- 50ml thick coconut milk
- ¼ cup mint leaves, finely chopped (optional)
- Place water, sugar and lemon into a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil stirring until the sugar dissolves. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes without stirring. Set aside to cool. Remove lemon rind and discard. Refrigerate syrup until cold (minimum 4 hours).
- Cut the pineapple in half lengthwise, scoop out the flesh keeping the shell intact for serving (if desired). Puree the flesh in the food processor until well chopped. Add the sugar syrup and coconut milk and process.
- Attach the ice cream bowl attachment to the stand mixer. Turn the mixer to speed 1 and whilst the machine is running add the pineapple mixture to the bowl. Churn for 15-20 minutes or until the mixture increases and reaches the top of the paddle. Just before removing from the stand mixer, add the chopped mint, if desired.
- Serve immediately or pour into a small 1.5L container, smooth top, cover and freeze over night or until firm.
- Remove from freezer and set aside for 5 minutes before scooping and filling the pineapple shell.