- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- ¼ cup (50g) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 150ml milk
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- extra butter for cooking
- Place the flour, sugar, egg, milk and vinegar into a mixing bowl.
- Attach the turbo beaters to the hand mixer, place beaters in mixing bowl, turn to speed 2 and mix until just combined. Increase speed to speed 7 and mix 20-30 seconds or until batter is smooth.
- If time allows, let batter stand for 15 minutes.
- Melt a teaspoon of butter in a heavy based pan, swirling to coat the bottom. Use a ladle and place batter into pan and cook gently until bubbles appear, flip and cook until golden.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture in batches.
- Standing the batter relaxes the mixture which produces a softer pikelet.
- Best eaten on the day of cooking.