- 150g good quality dark cooking (or eating) chocolate, roughly chopped
- 4 eggs, separated
- 375ml thickened cream
- 2 x 35g bars peppermint chocolate crisps, crushed
- Place dark chocolate into the top of a double boiler and stir over simmering water until chocolate has melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place egg whites into the small (2.8L) mixing bowl* and attach the wire whisk and pouring shield (if available). Mix on speed 8 for 1 minute, or until egg whites form 'soft peaks'. Remove bowl and replace with the large mixing bowl. Add cream and mix on speed 10 for 1-2 minutes, or until cream forms 'soft peaks'.
- Add egg yolks to cream and mix on speed 2 until combined. Continue mixer on speed 2 then add chocolate and mix until well combined. Add egg whites and 1 bar of peppermint chocolate and continue mixing for 1 minute, or until smooth and combined, scraping down sides of the bowl.
- Divide mixture evenly amongst serving glasses and refrigerate for 1 hour, or until firm. Serve decorated with remaining peppermint chocolate.
- A smaller 2.8L mixing bowl is useful when beating separate mixtures within the one recipe. If not available, use the standard bowl to whip cream, then remove whipped cream from the standard bowl and set aside. Wash and thoroughly dry the bowl for continuing with the recipe.
- Chocolate can also be melted in the microwave. Place roughly chopped chocolate into a microwave safe bowl and cook uncovered for 2-3 minutes on medium/ 50%/ 500 watt power. Stir until chocolate is smooth.