- 1 cup (150g) gluten free plain flour
- 1 tbs gluten free baking powder
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum or ½ tsp gluten substitute*
- small pinch salt
- 4 large free range eggs (minimum 70g) at room temperature
- ¾ cup (160g) caster sugar
- 4 tbs very hot water
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2 tbs gluten free sifted icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup strawberry or blackberry jam
- strawberries and raspberries, for serving
- gluten free icing sugar, extra, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan forced) and brush 2 x 20cm sandwich tins with melted butter. Line the base with a circle of baking paper. Place oven rack on centre shelf.
- Attach the flat beater to the stand mixer with the pouring shield. Place the flour, baking powder, gum and salt into the mixing bowl, mix on speed 2 until well combined. Remove from the bowl and set aside. Thoroughly clean the bowl.
- Attach the whisk to the stand mixer. Place the eggs and sugar into the clean dry mixing bowl.
- Whisk on speed 10 for 7 minutes or until mixture is very thick light and fluffy.
- Reduce to speed 1, gently add half the flour and half the water and mix 4 seconds only then add the remaining flour and water. Mix for another 3-5 seconds or until just mixed. Do not over mix.
- Quickly and gently pour the batter between the prepared tins and bake for 22 minutes, or until golden and firm. Do not over bake.
- Wait 5 minutes before running a flat bladed knife or spatula around the edge of the pan and turn cakes out onto a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely before sandwiching layers together with whipped cream, jam and berries. Dust with extra icing sugar.
- To whip cream
- Place the cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract into the clean mixing bowl. Attach the wire whisk and beat on speed 6 for 1 ½ minutes or until medium peaks are formed.
- For a wheat based version, replace Gluten free plain flour with wheat based flour and omit the Xanthan gum / gluten substitute.
- Gluten substitute is available at good health food stores under the Orgran Brand