- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 200ml water
- Rind 1 small lemon or large lime, very finely grated
- 120ml (2 x ingredient cap*) Gin
- 20 ice cubes
- Combine the sugar, water and rind in a non stick pan. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Simmer without stirring for 5 minutes. Pour syrup through a fine sieve. Discard the rind.
- Stir in the gin and pour syrup into a shallow container. Place into the freezer and freeze 2 hours or until icy cold.*
- Place ice cubes into the blender jug. Add half of the icy syrup and cover. Select ice crushing, process 5 seconds or until ice is roughly chopped.
- And the remaining syrup and select speed 5 (liquify). Process 10 seconds or until the Granita is soft and icy. Do not over blend or the Granita will be too smooth and fluid in consistency.
- Serve immediately in small chilled glasses or pour the Granita back into the shallow container and freeze uncovered for 1 hour or until ready to serve. Do not allow to set firm.
- The syrup can be made up to 4 days in advance and kept chilled in the refrigerator.
- Only place this mixture into the freezer if quick chilling is needed before making the granita.
- The ingredient cap* (situated in the cover of the blender) is excellent for measuring liquid ingredients.