- 100ml olive oil
- 5 spring onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp ground fennel or seeds
- 200ml boiling water
- 1 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- ½ cup mint leaves, chopped
- Heat 1 tbs of the oil in a heavy based frying pan. Cook the spring onions and garlic for 3 minutes or until softened.
- Attach the flat beater to the stand mixer. Place the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and fennel into the mixing bowl. Turn to speed 2 and mix until well combined. With the motor running add the boiling water and mix 1 minute or until just combined.
- Change to the dough hook, add the cooked spring onion mixture and chopped herbs. Knead on speed 2 for 2 minutes. The dough will be soft and pliable with an oily feeling.
- Remove dough from bowl and cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Lightly dust your hands and bench with a little extra plain flour.
- Break off small gold ball sized amounts of the dough and flatten. Roll out with a rolling pin into a flat disc.
- Heat a large flat grill or 2 frying pans and brush with oil. Cook the bread discs for 2 minutes each side or until golden and crisp. Repeat with the remaining oil and dough discs. Serve immediately while still warm.
- If desired the bread can be fried in more oil the more oil used the crisper and lighter in texture the bread will be.