- 250g butter, chopped
- 250g good quality dark chocolate (gluten free)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup gluten free plain flour
- 3 tbs cocoa (preferably Dutch Cocoa)
- ½ tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 100g toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- extra cocoa and icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 190C (170C fan forced). Grease and paper line 5cm deep x 18cm square pan.
- Heat butter, chocolate, brown sugar and vanilla in a heavy based saucepan over a low heat, stirring constantly until smooth, melted and glossy. Set aside to cool.
- Attach the flat beater to the stand mixer with the pouring shield. Mix the flour, cocoa and gum on speed1 until well combined, remove from the mixing bowl.
- Attach the whisk to the stand mixer. Whisk eggs and sugar on speed 6 until thick and creamy. Reduce to speed 2, add the cooled chocolate mixture and flour and mix until combined. Add the nuts and fold through.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes or until just set. Set aside to cool completely.
- Dust with extra cocoa and icing sugar. Cut as desired.
- These brownies will freeze well for up to 3 months.
- For a wheat based version, replace Gluten free plain flour with plain flour, use a good quality chocolate and omit the Xanthan gum / gluten substitute.