- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 40g chopped white onion
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 165g chopped husked fresh tomatillos or 225g (undrained weight) tinned tomatillos, drained and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 15g coarsely chopped fresh coriander
- 80ml plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 40g plain flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 675 to 900g small red snapper fillets or skinless sole fillets
- 30g butter
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in medium frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeños; cook and stir 4 minutes or until softened. Add tomatillos, garlic and cumin; sauté 1 minute. Add coriander, 80ml water and 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Transfer to pitcher of KitchenAid Magnetic Drive Blender. Cover and blend on Manual medium-high speed until smooth. Return sauce to frying pan; heat over low heat until hot. Keep warm.
- Combine flour, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper in shallow bowl. Beat eggs and remaining 1 tablespoon water in another bowl. Coat fish with flour mixture, then with egg mixture.
- Heat butter and remaining 2 tablespoons oil in large frying pan over medium-high heat until foamy. Cook fish in batches 4 to 8 minutes or until golden brown on outside and opaque in centre, turning once. Serve fish with warm sauce.