- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1.5 litres water or vegetable stock*
- 430g dried split peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 180g frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon
- freshly ground black pepper
- Soured cream (optional)
- *If using stock, reduce the amount of salt to 1⁄4 teaspoon. Taste and add more, if desired.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Add water, split peas, bay leaf and mustard; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 45 minutes or until split peas are tender, stirring occasionally and adding additional water if necessary.
- Stir in frozen peas, salt and pepper; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until frozen peas are tender. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Transfer soup to pitcher of KitchenAid Magnetic Drive Blender. Cover and blend on Soups/Sauces setting. Swirl a dollop of soured cream into each serving, if desired.
Variation: For a smoky flavour, add a dried chipotle pepper during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Remove the pepper before blending.