- Jul 6th 2020
- 0 comment
Makes: 8-10 servings
Portion Size: 1 slice
Prep Time: 20 min. plus refrigerating
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 3 cups sugar
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1-½ cups cocoa powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180°. Lightly oil a 20cm round cake pan and dust with flour.
- Add sugar and butter to bowl of KitchenAid® Artisan Stand Mixer. Attach Bowl and Flat Beater to Mixer. Turn to Speed 3 and beat 4 minutes or until well blended.
- Continuing on Speed 3, add eggs and egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each until light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder in separate bowl. Alternately add buttermilk and flour mixture to egg mixture in three additions, mixing on Speed 2 until just incorporated. Stop Mixer; scrape side and bottom of Bowl. Add chocolate chips. Turn to Speed 2 and mix 1 minute. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Invert cake onto wire rack; remove pan. Cool 30 minutes. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Cut cake into 3 layers, each about 2.5cm high. Brush each cake layer with maple syrup. Stack cake layers on serving plate, filling with some of the buttercream. Spread remaining buttercream on top and side of cake for a rustic look.
Cover side of cake with chocolate shavings and top cake with grated chocolate.