- 900ml thickened cream
- 300g good quality, dark cooking chocolate (minimum 60% cocoa), roughly chopped
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- ¾ cup (155g) caster sugar
- Place cream and chocolate into a double boiler or a heatproof bowl (place the bowl on top of a saucepan containing simmering water). Cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally until the cream and chocolate mixture is melted and smooth.
- Attach the wire whisk to the stand mixer, pour the chocolate mixture into the mixing bowl. Turn to speed 2, add the vanilla, egg yolks and sugar and mix for 1 minute. Place the mixture into the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes or until the mixture is just chilled but not set firm.
- Attach the ice cream bowl attachment to the stand mixer and turn to speed 1. With the machine running, slowly add the chocolate mixture to the freezer bowl. Churn for 25 minutes until a soft serve ice cream results. When the mixture is ready it will begin to rise up the paddle (churn).
- Remove from the freezer bowl and serve immediately as a soft serve or spoon into an airtight container, seal and freeze overnight for a firm consistency. Remove from the freezer and stand for 5 minutes before scooping and serving.
- The chocolate mixture must be chilled to successfully churn into ice cream.
- Please eat the ice cream within 4 days as it contains raw egg yolk.
- Nestle Plaistowe Couverture Deluxe Chocolate was used in this recipe.
Looking for More Ice Cream Recipes?
Try these other gorgeous ice cream recipe options: