- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 7/8 cup water
- 8 cups beef or chicken broth
- 4cm piece ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 large carrot, cut into thin strips
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 4 baby bok choy, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- Fresh cilantro leaves, sliced green onions, sliced red chilli and lime wedges for serving
- Attach flat beater to KitchenAid Stand Mixer. Add buckwheat and all purpose flours to mixer bowl, turn to Stir speed and mix 15 seconds to blend. Slowly add water and mix until a crumbly dough forms. Increase to speed 2 and mix 1 minute or untll dough is smooth and holds together. Addiitonal flour or water may be added to achieve this consistency. Exchange flat beater for dough hook, turn mixer to speed 2 and knead for 1 to 2 minutes. Gather dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap to rest.
- Add beef broth to a large pot over medium heat and heat to a simmer. Add ginger and garlic and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in soy sauce, sesame oil, carrot and broccoli, reduce heat to low and keep warm while rolling out noodles.
- Attach KitchenAid Pasta Roller attachment to mixer with adjustment knob
set to 1. Divide dough into quarters and flatten 1 piece, keeping remaining dough wrapped. Turn mixer to speed 2 and feed flattened dough through rollers to knead. Fold dough in half and roll again, repeat until dough is smooth and pliable and covers the width of the rollers. Change roller setting to 2 and feed dough sheet through rollers to flatten, do not fold dough for this step. Repeat for roller setting 3. Lightly dust pasta sheet with flour, cover and set aside. Repeat process with remaining dough.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Fill a large bowl with water and ice to cool cooked noodles in.
- Remove roller attachment and attach spaghetti cutter to mixer. Turn to speed 2 and cut one sheet of pasta into noodles. Immediately drop noodles gently into boiling water and stir with a slotted spoon to separate. Cook for 1 minute. Scoop out with spoon and plunge into ice water. Remove from ice water and set aside. Repeat with remaining dough.
- To serve, divide noodles among 4 to 6 large deep bowls and top with sliced bok choy; pour hot broth and vegetables over and garnish with coriander, green onions and chilli. Serve with a wedge of lime.
makes 4 to 6 servings