- ½ small red onion
- 1 bunch baby fresh beetroots, cooked until tender and peeled*
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- ¼ cup (3 tbs) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Sea salt flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, washed
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 125g blue cheese, crumbled
- For best results, use a KitchenAid® Stand Mixer and Food Processor attachment.
- Attach the food processor attachment with the dicing disc to the stand mixer. Place the mixing bowl under the chute. Select speed 8, add the onion and dice. Change to the slicing disc, select medium thickness, turn to speed 2. Fill the chute with the baby beetroots and slice.
- Change to the julienne disc, select speed 8, add the carrots to the chute and julienne.
- For the dressing, whisk the vinegar, maple syrup, oil, chilli and salt and pepper.
- Combine the spinach, beetroot, onion, carrot and gently toss. Drizzle over the dressing, crumble over the cheese and serve immediately.
- Food Processor method
- Fit the multi-purpose blade into the processor bowl. Add the onion and chop on speed 1 for 5 seconds or until chopped. Remove onion from the bowl and set aside.
- Fit the slicing blade to the bowl, select medium and speed 2, add the beetroot to the chute and slice. Remove from the bowl. Fit the medium shredding blade to the bowl, select speed 2 and add the carrots to the chute and coarsely grate. Remove from the bowl.
- Fit the small bowl to the processor; add the vinegar, maple syrup, oil, chilli and salt and pepper. Pulse until combined.
- Toss the spinach, onion, carrot together, drizzle over the dressing and crumble with the cheese.
- If using fresh baby beetroots, trim off leaves and discard. Cook in boiling salted water for 8 minutes or until tender, peel.
- Canned, drained whole baby beetroots can also be used.