Prep time 10 min
Cook time: 75 min
- 50g block parmesan, cut into 2cm chunks
- 15g continental parsley leaves only
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 sticks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 550g chuck steak, trimmed and cut into 2cm cubes
- 100g pearl barley
- 1 litre beef stock
- 500ml water
- Bay leaf
- Place parmesan cheese into 3.5 Cup Mini Food Processor , pulse for 15 seconds, remove and place into small bowl. Repeat the process with 2 cloves of garlic and parsley, pulse for 15 seconds, add to parmesan and mix together. Refrigerate.
- Set KitchenAid Multi-Cooker to Sear setting. Add oil and Beef and cook for 5 minutes, stirring the beef once or twice. Add onion, garlic,carrots and celery and cook for further 5 minutes, set Stir Tower to intermittent
- 2-minute setting.
- Change Multi cooker setting to Manual med - low setting.
- Add barley, stock, water and bay leaf and cook for 30 minutes, keep stif tower on intermittent 2-minute setting.
- Once the beef and barley soup is cooked serve immediately with a spoon full of pesto.
Tip- substitute beef for chicken pieces such as drumsticks or thigh cutlets remove meat from bone to serve.