- 1 cup ancient grains - combination of teff, bulgur, spelt, barley
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons whole ancient grains, flax, quinoa, chia
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon butter
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Attach KitchenAid® Grain Mill to your Stand Mixer and position large mixing bowl under attachment to catch grains. Position bowl under attachment to catch flour. Set mill to finest setting and process 1 cup grains ancient grains.
- Mix honey and hot water in measuring cup. Sprinkle yeast over top and let sit 10 minutes. Combine ancient grains flour, unbleached flour, whole grains and salt in bowl of stand mixer with flat paddle attached. Set mixer to stir for 1 minute. When water yeast mixture has dissolved and is bubbly, pour into stand mixer bowl along with vinegar and set to stir for 1 minute to combine. Remove flat paddle and attach dough hook. Set to speed 2 for 1 minute then reduce to stir for 3-4 minutes until dough pulls away from bowl, adding move unbleached flour if needed.
- Coat large bowl with butter. Transfer dough to buttered bowl, turning to coat. Cover and let sit 8-18 hours.
- Punch down dough and knead 5-10 times on floured surface, adding more flour if needed. Shape into ball and place on parchment paper sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise 1 1-1/2 hours.
- Place 4L cast iron or enameled dutch oven with lid in oven preheated to 260C. Let dutch oven heat 20 minutes, then pick up dough by holding corners of parchment and drop in dutch oven. Cut 0.5cm deep slit in dough. Cover and reduce heat to 220C. and bake 30 minutes. Remove lid and bake an additional 20-30 minutes until bread is golden and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from oven and cool bread on wire rack.
Makes 1 loaf