- 500ml thickened cream
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick, roughly broken
- 6 whole cardamom pods, bruised (see Note)
- 2 strips orange rind
- 8 whole large firm Beurre Bosc pears (unpeeled)
- sponge finger or biscotti to serve
- Place the cream, water, sugar, rind and spices into the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Place the pears into the sauce, standing them up. Cover.
- To programme
- Select the 'power ' button.
- Select 'high'. Push the '+' button to 3.30 (hours).
- Allow to cook. The timer will count down on the display.
- At the end of the cooking time the slow cooker will automatically switch to keep warm (this function will hold for 4 hours).
- Note: the slow cooker can also be used manually, please refer to the manual.
- About half way through the cooking, you can roll the pears in the cream if desired or use a spoon to baste the pears. However, limit the time the lid is removed from the slow cooker.
- To serve
- Remove the whole spices and orange rind. Serve the pear drizzled with sauce, accompanied by some sponge fingers or biscotti.
To bruise the cardamom give then a tap with a rolling pin or place on a chopping board and place the blade of a cooks knife flat over the top and press down carefully.