- 2 sheets frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
- 6 large egg yolks, 1 egg white
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar, plus 2 tablespoons extra
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 3 tablespoons custard powder
- 600ml milk
- 300ml pouring cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- Icing sugar to serve
- Preheat oven 200C fan forced and line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Place one sheet of puff pastry onto each tray and brush with beaten egg white. Lightly sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Cover with a second layer of baking paper. Place another tray over the top and weigh tray down by placing a heavy baking dish on top. This is to prevent the pastry from puffing up during cooking.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, swapping trays halfway through the cooking time, so that the pastry will cook evenly. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper, making sure to allow and large overhang that extends above the rim for easy removal.
- Insert Mulitblade and add egg yolks and sugar. Select STIR SPEED 5 / 1 minute and press START.
- Replace Mulitblade with StirAssist and add corn flour, custard powder, milk, cream and vanilla paste. Select 90C/ 10 min / STIR SPEED 1 and press START. Mixture should be hot and well mixed.
- Select 100C / 10 minutes / STIR SPEED 1 and press START. Custard should be thick. Remove and cool
- Trim pastry sheets to fit into the prepared cake tin and. Place one pastry square into the base and top with custard. Smooth out evenly and place second pastry square over the top. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until custard has set.
- To serve, remove from tin and carefully cut with a serrated knife into 8 pieces. Dust with icing sugar.
Prep time: 20 minutes (plus chilling time)
Cook time: 30 minutes