- 1 cup (200g) caster sugar
- 250ml water
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- Good pinch ground cinnamon
- 600g seedless watermelon, rind removed, flesh roughly diced
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil whilst stirring, then simmer without stirring for 4 minutes. Add lemon and cinnamon and allow syrup to cool.
- Place 1 cup of the watermelon chunks into the hand blender jug. Attach the multipurpose blade to the blending arm.
- Turn the hand blender to the highest speed, place the hand blender into the jug and chop/puree the watermelon for 3 seconds. Add the remaining melon and repeat until you have a smooth puree. Be sure to keep the hand blender below the surface to prevent splashing.
- Combine the puree and syrup in a high sided, freezer proof dish. Puree briefly on medium speed until thoroughly combined.
- Place dish into the freezer and allow to set for 1 hour, then puree/chop the mixture again to smash any formed ice. Return the dish to the freezer for another hour. Repeat again until you have a smooth granita.
- Allow to soften for 5 minutes before shaving with a spoon. Serve immediately in pretty glasses.
- Pureeing and re-smashing the granita as it freezes prevents large ice crystals from forming, giving it a smooth and silky texture.